UA Logo
University of Arizona
Herring Hall
Built in 1903, Herring Hall is the second oldest building standing on the University of Arizona Campus and has served as a campus wide resource over the past 100 years! Originally built as the Men’s Gymnasium, Herring Hall has since housed a multitude of diverse University programs including; the Women’s Physical Education program, the Drama Department, the School of Journalism and the Radio/TV Bureau, and the Landscape Architecture Program

Herring Hall was built in 1903 for $6,675, $5,000 of which was donated by the Copper Queen Mining Company. The gift was arranged by Colonel William Herring, legal counsel for the company. It is the second oldest building standing on the University of Arizona Campus (...more)

On September 3, 2004 This magnificently rehabilitated structure was rededicated to the people of Arizona, the University Campus Community, and to the continuing economic development of our state.

See details of the renovation project and become a part of the rededication celebration!

See our photo gallery of images of Herring Hall and watch the webcast of the rededication ceremonies (September 3, 2004, 9:00 a.m.).
INTRODUCTION - The First Gymnasium

It was quite a sight --- that small newborn brick building with its spotless four white Doric columns rising on the mesa-land, a respectful distance south of Old Main. Such dignity for a gymnasium on the rough western frontier! Plans for this modest structure were drawn by the University’s own Professor of Mechanical Arts, David H. Holmes, and constructed for $6,675, of which $5,000 was contributed by Dr. James Douglas and his associates of the Copper Queen Mining Company. This gift was arranged by Col. William Herring, Territorial Lawyer and legal counsel for the company, and for whom the building was named at the suggestion of Dr. Douglas. The basement contained 96 lockers and five hot-water shower baths.

The 1903 Arizona Legislative Assembly appropriated $2,000 for equipment, purchased from a Rhode Island firm, that included weights, bars, climbing ropers, chest developers, mats, basketballs, and fencing foils. What a bonanza! It was shared by both men and women for many years, and often used for social hours, class dances, and military balls. During Christmas vacation in 1906, a balcony was installed at the west end. The building has endured many interior changes which have made it, over the years, a women’s gym, a theater, a radio-television studio, and an outpost for assorted crowded departments.

In the last decade the basement has been used by College of Agriculture and Life Sciences graduate students and the remainder of the space for storage purposes. After a year long rehabilitation supported by the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Herring Hall is ready to reopen its doors as the new home of the UA Herbarium and the Campus Arboretum.

Herring Hall is included in the University of Arizona’s West Campus Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.

This site produced and mainted by the Office of Educational Communications and Technologies, ECAT. Questions? Email