[AG] Re: Fig Tree Losing Leaves; Identifying Fig Varieties

Linda A. Guy laguy2@primenet.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:26:01 -0700

Hello again Paul,

I looked at the Sunset Western Garden Book for a little assistance (pp 295-6).
It suggests you could tell the different fig varieties by the color of the
fruit. Brown Turkey (also known as San Piero or Black Spanish in other areas)
has brownish/purple fruit. Mission (or Black Mission) has purple/black fruit.
The latter is a much larger tree, but of course, you'll have to let yours grow a
bit more to use that particular test!

Linda Guy
Master Gardener