[AG] Re: Bugs on watermelon plants

Olin Miller Olin Miller" <millero@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:56:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <sophie_mcdermott@hotmail.com>
> The bottom of the leaves on my watermelon plants are covered with little
yellow bugs.  They don't move much, but appear to have legs when I scraped
them off.  Any idea what they are and how to get rid of them?

Probably either melon aphids or whitefly larva.  If you have not seen adult
whiteflies around the plants, it's more likely to be aphids although it's a
bit warm for them.  Control is similar for both.

The melon aphid will be on the underside if the leaves and it ranges in
color from yellow to black.   From
http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/t-tips/bugs/aphid.htm
"Wash aphids off with a strong blast of water, spray aphids with mild soapy
water (1 tsp to 1 tbsp of non-concentrated dish detergent per gallon of
water - not citrus based soap). Before spraying the entire plant, always
spray a few leaves and check the next day for leaf burn."

White flies infest all cucurbits but affect water melons to a somewhat
lesser degree than cantaloupes.    See
http://ag.arizona.edu/aes/yac/veginfo/whitefly.htm
for a detailed descrption to help identify it in its various stages.   From
http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/t-tips/bugs/whitefly.htm
"A homemade spray for whiteflies and scales: mix one cup vegetable oil plus
one tablespoon dish detergent (regular, not concentrated, and not citrus
based) in a pint jar and shake. Add one to two teaspoons of this mixture to
one cup of water in a spray bottle and spray the underside of leaves to
dripping. Always spray a few leaves and check 24 hours latter for leaf burn
before spraying entire plant".
Good Luck,
Olin