[AG] Re:Horseradish

Sue Bass sjbass@uswest.net
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:08:00 -0700

I have never grown horseradish myself but I did find information on it in my copy of Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs.  Here is what it
says:  Horseradish is most often cultivated from root cuttings.  These should be straight, young roots, about 8 or 9 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
Each cutting should have a bud or a growing point, although pieces will develop new buds (or crowns) in the ground.  The roots grow out, not down,
and should be placed 12 to 18 inches apart each way and 12 to 15 inches deep.  When planting, carefully remove all side roots from each set, then
drop the cutting into the hole, and fill in by trickling a fine soil around them.

You will have the best results with a rich soil that is high in organic matter.  Since the root is the portion for which the plant is most commonly
grown, you should take care to provide a deeply cultivated soil, free of stones that could cause gouges in your crop.

Prepare the soil as early in the spring as possible.  In fact, most herb growers recommend you work the soil in January for a February planting.
Till deeply and fertilize generously with well-rotted manure and compost.  Water the bed well and frequently and keep the bed weed-free.

Horseradish is an herb that spreads rapidly, quickly taking over the area in which it is planted, and it is very difficult to eradicate.  Be sure to
give it plenty of room, perhaps in an isolated spot in the garden.  Or, you could contain it by placing it in the ground in a bottomless 5-gallon
container.  When you want to remove it completely, take pains to discard every lingering piece of root, as even the tiniest rootlet will produce
another plant.  The book also states that the long, white, tapering root produces a 2-3 ft high stem in the second year.

I would also suggest you contact the Arizona Herb Association for any further information about growing this herb in our particular climate.  You can
find information about contacting this group at: http://www.accessarizona.com/community/groups/azherb/index.html

Sue Bass
Master Gardener