[AG] Palo Verde Web Worms

don olson dolsontree@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 03:06:54 -0700

i had the same problem last  year at starr pass cassitas,almost all of my
palo verdes were covered with web worms.i monitered the situation and didn't
noticed any real damage,and with in a week or two, they were gone.the early
bird got them!Don Olson
The Groundskeeper
ACLP  F-090-2
Cert. Arborist WC-3377
Cert. Pest cont. 930077

----- Original Message -----
From: Linda A. Guy <laguy2@primenet.com>
To: <Kamerakaye@aol.com>
Cc: Arid gardener server <arid_gardener@Ag.Arizona.Edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 7:19 AM
Subject: [AG] Palo Verde Web Worms

> arid_gardener
> We just learned about these yesterday morning from Ag Agent Terry Mikel at
the Monthly Update for Master Gardeners. We're not sure why there are more
of these this year than most, but this cousin of the tent caterpillar has
been noted valley-wide and in particular Terry is receiving worried calls
from nurseries who anticipate trouble selling impacted trees in the short
term. [It's hard
> for them to tell a customer 'trust me'.] These web worms target the palos
[breas and verdes] and old/new world acacias [excl. Australian]. If you have
these, check them out, too.

> HOWEVER, this is strictly cosmetic damage, and Terry assures us that the
branches will eventually leaf out, so do not prune them away. Web worms will
focus on the tender new ends at the terminals, so unless the tree is very
young and you fear that the infestation will have a dramatic impact, you
have several options. Leave the tree alone. Spray well with water to hose
them off. Use Bt
> [bacillus thuringiensis] which is the traditional organic approach to any
caterpillar. Or use Sevin. Terry notes that the best time to spray is after
sundown, since these are nocturnal critters.

> Avoid the temptation to overwater these native trees. You'll just produce
more luxuriant and voluminous vegetation to have to prune.

> Take heart in knowing it is nothing that you did, that you are not alone!
>
> Linda Guy
> Master Gardener
>
> Kamerakaye@aol.com wrote:
>
> > arid_gardener
> > My young palo verde trees are suffering from some kind of parasite...the
ends of the branches are covered with a sinewy, spider-web-like substance
which is encasing what leaves are there.  One of the trees has no leaves at
all.  They all receive regular irrigation...one is a Sonoran palo verde and
two are blue palo verdes.  What can I do to treat the trees before more
damage is done?