[Arid_gardener] 'Regal Mist' ornamental grass

Linda Drew drew_linda@hotmail.com
Sat, 02 Feb 2002 21:10:40 +0000

I have not grown this ornamental grass myself.
Here is some information form the web:

Muhlenbergia capillaris (Lam.) Trin. Regal MistTM

We feel that this ornamental grass shows great promise for many different
regions of the country. Native to humid southeastern Texas, this grass has
adapted extremely well to the hot, dry conditions of deserts in Arizona and
Nevada. In fact, it has performed incredibly well in Las Vegas, which is
cursed with poor soils, high winds, high summer temperatures, and cold
winters. Regal MistTM is also happy in heavy soils, with ample irrigation.
In short, it has worked everywhere it has been tried, so far! It is hardy to
at least ?17.8C (0F). Regal MistTM has narrow, dark green, glossy leaves.
It grows quickly to form a rounded clump to 0.9 m (3 feet) tall and wide.
The flower spikes on this grass have attracted a lot of attention... they
form misty masses of pink to purple flowers in October and November. We
recommend cutting this plant back in early spring to cut off the dead flower
spikes and any dormant foliage.

---
I've found no information on pests, but your description sounds
similar to cochineal scale on prickly pear cactus. could you take
a sample to your nearest county Extension office for identification?

If they are scale, they are an insect that sucks juices from the
plant.

Linda Drew
Master Gardener