[Arid_gardener] Blue Point Zinnia

Linda Drew drew_linda@hotmail.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:11:05 +0000

A quick web search found these:

   http://www.nb.net/~franklin/AnnualsHZ.html
   http://www.arkseed.com

"The American Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers was equally
impressed with two new giant zinnia series, descended from Z. elegans: Blue
Point (Benary's Giant) and Oklahoma. These fully-double flowers exhibit
bright, uniform colors, sturdy stems with mildew-resistant foliage, and a
long vase life. Blue Point zinnias are truly giants (to 4"), forming 5"
blossoms on sturdy stems.; Oklahoma (3") is very mildew- resistant, with 2"
blossoms."
<http://www2.magmacom.com/~dbell/vol1no8.htm>

"In spite of their enthusiastic growth habit, the Peruvian zinnias did not
attract butterflies. Blue Point Formula Mix and 'Royal Purple' [a Blue Point
zinnia from Park Seed] have been the most popular zinnias in Leece's garden.
In particular, the big purple flowers are a magnet for fritillaries,
American Painted Ladies and Eastern Tiger Swallowtails. Moderately
attractive zinnias include giant cactus-flowered, 'Sunbow Mix' and Z.
angustifolia 'Crystal White'. Leece has found that 'Envy', scabious-flowered
and (to her surprise) Z. haageana 'Persian Carpet' have not attracted
visiting butterflies."
<http://www2.magmacom.com/~dbell/vol1no8.htm>

Linda Drew
Master Gardener