[Arid_gardener] cultivation of flame tree seeds

Mark DiLucido Mark DiLucido" <MDilucido@toddassoc.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:22:31 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C20D4C.72D0D740

I've seen a few Flame trees (Delonix regia) in Phoenix, usually in areas =
where a warmer (Winter) microclimate will support them. They do fairly =
well in Yuma which has warmer winters so if you can protect them from =
frost/freeze you should be able to grow them here.  Consult, "Landscape =
Plants for Dry Regions", by Jones and Sacamano, p. 128 for the full =
lowdown.

Mark Di Lucido
(not a master gardener)

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mark Mittelstaedt=20
  To: arid_gardener@Ag.arizona.edu=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 4:16 PM
  Subject: [Arid_gardener] cultivation of flame tree seeds

  I was in Puerto Vallarta last week and got some seed pods from the =
Flame Tree, aka poinciana / flamboyant / tabachin. I got some seeds =
before when I was on St. Croix, scarified them and planted them, but =
they didn't germinate. The tree is beautiful - like a mimosa, but =
covered with bright red flowers in full bloom. Someone I met in Mexico =
suggested soaking the seeds in water for three days, then planting them =
in a pot covered with plastic to keep the humidity up there. Has anyone =
grown this tree before ? I have never seen one in AZ, but I think I can =
keep it happy from a humidity / put it where it won't freeze =
perspective. Any advice out there ? Thanks.

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C20D4C.72D0D740

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've seen a few Flame trees (Delonix =
regia) in=20
Phoenix, usually in areas where a warmer (Winter) microclimate will =
support=20
them. They do fairly well in Yuma&nbsp;which has warmer winters&nbsp;so =
if you=20
can protect them from frost/freeze you should be able to grow them =
here.&nbsp;=20
Consult, "Landscape Plants for Dry Regions", by Jones and Sacamano, p. =
128 for=20
the full lowdown.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark Di Lucido</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(not a master gardener)</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dmmittelstaedt@earthlink.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:mmittelstaedt@earthlink.net">Mark Mittelstaedt</A> =
</DIV>
title=3Darid_gardener@Ag.arizona.edu=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:arid_gardener@Ag.arizona.edu">arid_gardener@Ag.arizona.edu=
</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, June 05, 2002 =
4:16=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Arid_gardener] =
cultivation of=20
  flame tree seeds</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I was in Puerto Vallarta last week and got some =
seed pods=20
  from the Flame Tree, aka poinciana / flamboyant / tabachin. I got some =
seeds=20
  before when I was on St. Croix, scarified them and planted them, but =
they=20
  didn't germinate. The tree is beautiful - like a mimosa, but covered =
with=20
  bright red flowers in full bloom. Someone I met in Mexico suggested =
soaking=20
  the seeds in&nbsp;water for three days, then planting them in a pot =
covered=20
  with plastic to keep the humidity up there. Has anyone grown this tree =
before=20
  ? I have never seen one in AZ, but I think I can keep it happy from a =
humidity=20
  / put it where it won't freeze perspective. Any advice out there ?=20
  Thanks.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C20D4C.72D0D740--