[Arid_gardener] Why are my Bouganvilla plant's leaves turning black and dying?

Howard Halverson hve@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 17:18:29 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00B7_01C1F846.B4667FE0

Last year I purchased an RV lot on the Gulf Of Mexico in Port Aransas, =
TX.

I had about 33 3' tall Bougainvillea plants planted around the perimeter =
of the lot, in the hopes that some day they will all grow together and =
form a purple wall.=20
After they were planted, we had several "northers" come through, and all =
of the plants lost theirs flowers and leaves and went dormant.=20

About a month and a half ago, as the temps started getting into the 70's =
and 80's, they finally started to sprout leaves. However, just about the =
time the leaves start maturing, they turn black and fall off. Only one =
of the plants has sprouted any flowers, and only two at that. They =
appear to be losing ground, as the growths turn black and die faster =
than new ones can come out.=20

Temperatures have remained in the 70's at night and the 80's during the =
day. They get sun from sunup to sundown. There is typically a 15 mph =
onshore breeze about 24 hours a day. Humidity is typically 75-95%.=20

When they were planted the entire root ball and pot contents were =
transferred to the sandy soil without being disturbed too much.=20

Any suggestions from the group?=20

------=_NextPart_000_00B7_01C1F846.B4667FE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><FONT color=3D#000000>Last year I purchased =
an RV lot on=20
the Gulf Of Mexico in Port Aransas, TX.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><FONT =
color=3D#000000></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#008080><FONT color=3D#000000>I had about 33 3' tall=20
Bougainvillea plants planted around the perimeter of the lot, in the =
hopes that=20
some day they will all grow together and form a purple wall. =
</FONT></DIV>
<P><FONT color=3D#000000>After they were planted, we had several =
"northers" come=20
through, and all of the plants lost theirs flowers and leaves and went =
dormant.=20
</FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#000000>About a month and a half ago, as the temps =
started=20
getting into the 70's and 80's, they finally started to sprout leaves. =
However,=20
just about the time the leaves start maturing, they turn black and fall =
off.=20
Only one of the plants has sprouted any flowers, and only two at that. =
They=20
appear to be losing ground, as the growths turn black and die faster =
than new=20
ones can come out. </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#000000>Temperatures have remained in the 70's at night =
and the=20
80's during the day. They get sun from sunup to sundown. There is =
typically a 15=20
mph onshore breeze about 24 hours a day. Humidity is typically 75-95%. =
</FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#000000>When they were planted the entire root ball and =
pot=20
contents were transferred to the sandy soil without being disturbed too =
much.=20
</FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#000000>Any suggestions from the group?=20
</FONT></P></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B7_01C1F846.B4667FE0--