[Arid_gardener] Queen plams turning yellow

Linda Drew drew_linda@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 20:40:27 +0000

You may want to try using a fertilizer specifically for
palms; these fertilizers contain the micronutrients, such
as manganese, that palm trees need.

from an earlier resonse to a similar question:
Manganese deficiency is quite common in Queen Palms growing in our alkaline
soil. Early symptoms are an overall yellowing of the new palm leaves. As the
deficency becomes worse it stunts and distorts the new growth ( fizzle top
).
If left untreated the palms may die. It takes several months after treatment
for any change to be visable because the leaves within the palm must grow
out
before a change will be seen. The general purpose palm food fertilizer
usually
does not have enough manganese to correct a severe deficiency.

Linda Drew
Master Gardener