[Arid_gardener] high desert edible landscaping

Linda Drew drew_linda@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:43:00 +0000

Lake Montezuma is in Yavapai County. Looking at the map,
I think you are in Sunset Climate Zone 10 -- a zone that
favors deciduous fruit trees and colder winters call for
spring planting (rather than Tucson and Phoenix fall
planting).

Check Yavapai County web page for lots of information:
  http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/

For a listing of landscape plants:
  http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/xeriscape/

Cooperative Extension Bulletin Q365 lists deciduous fruit
varieties for your area -- ask the Yavapai Cooperative Extension
Agent for a copy. It includes apples, plums, grapes, raspberries,
peaches, pears, apricots, cherries, strawberries, currants,
and gooseberries. The bulletin lists specific varieties.

Blueberries usually don't grow well in Arizona because they
need a more acidic soil; I don't know if the kiwi will handle
the cold in winter.

The vegetables sound good from spring/summer planting. Again,
check with the Yavapai Office for specific varieties.

Arizona Cooperative Extension
Yavapai County
P.O. Box 388
500 S. Marina St.
Prescott, AZ 86302
(520) 445-6590

Have fun. It sounds like a wonderful place to garden!

Linda Drew
Master Gardener