[Arid_gardener] bats good or bad?

Linda Drew drew_linda@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 02:31:19 +0000

Good luck with the bat house. Bats consume night-flying
insects, such as mosquitoes and moths. Most of your
"good guys" such as lacewings and ladybugs, predatory
wasps are active during the day. I have not heard of any
problem with bats eating good guys.

Merlin D. Tuttle's book, "America's Neighborhood Bats",
discusses bat's diet of mosquitoes and various agricultural
pests.

I have (so far) been unsuccessful in convincing bats in
Tucson to use a bat house. The ones in my neighborhood
favor the huge old eucalyptus trees for roosts -- and
also the UA football stadium and under the Pantano bridge.

Linda Drew
Master Gardener