- North Carolina State University, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Kansas State University, Ph.D.
- University of Florida, M.S.
- China Agircultural University, Post-Baccalaureate
- Huazhong Agricultural University, B.S.
Research InterestsMy research program aims to understand the intricate interplays between viruses and their plants hosts during infection and pathogenesis. Areas of research interests include gene expression and replication of RNA and DNA viruses, mechanisms of plant resistance to viral infections and resistance-breaking by RNA viruses, recombination and evolution of RNA viruses, and pathogenomics studies using the state-of-the-art resequencing microarray and high-throughput sequencing technologies
- Acosta-Leal, R., and Xiong, Z. (2013) Interference among co-infecting variants and fitness tradeoff condition the emergence of resistance breaking variants of Potato virus Y. Virology. 437, 39-47
- Curlango-Rivera, G., Pew, T., VanEtten, H. D., Xiong, Z., Yu, N. –T., Hawes, M. C. (2013) Measuring Root Disease Suppression in Response to a Compost Water Extract. Phytopathology. 103, 255-260
- Yu, N.-T., Zhang, Y.-L., Feng, T. –C., Wang, J.-H., Kulye, M., Yang, W.-J., Lin, Z. -S., Xiong, Z., and Liu, Z. –X. (2012) Cloning and sequence analysis of two banana bunchy top virus genomes in Hainan. Virus Gene DOI:10.1007/s11262-012-0718-9.
- Hawes, M. C., Curlango-Rivera, G., Xiong, Z, and Kessler, J. (2012). Roles of root border cells in plant defense and regulation of rhizosphere microbial populations by extracellular DNA 'trapping'. Plant and Soil 355, 1-15.
- Zhang, S.-Y., Gong, D., Wu, Y.-P., Yu, N.-T., Liu, Z.-X., and Xiong, Z. (2012) First report of Chilli ringspot virus in China. Plant Diease DOI:10.1094/PDIS-11-11-0922.
- Gong, D., Wang, J.-H., Lin, Z.-S., Zhang, S.-Y., Zhang, Y.-L., Yu, N.-T., Xiong, Z., and Liu, Z.-X. (2011) Genomic sequencing and analysis of Chilli ringspot virus, a novel potyvirus. Virus Gene 43:439-44.
- Hawes, M. C. Curlango-Rivera, G., Wen, F., White, G. A., VanEtten, H. D., and Xiong, Z. (2011) Extracellular DNA: the tip of root defenses. Plant Science 106, 741-745.
- Acosta-Leal, R., Duffy, S., Xiong, Z., Hammond, R. W., and Elena, S. F. (2011) Advances in plant virus evolution: Translating evolutionary insights into better disease management. Phytopathology 101: 1136-1148. DOI: 10.1094/PHYTO-01-11-0017
- Wen, F., White, G. J., VanEtten, H. D., Xiong, Z, and Hawes, M. C. (2009). Extracellular DNA is required for root tip resistance to fungal infection. Plant Physiology 151(2), 820-829.
- Weng, Z., and Xiong, Z. (2009). Three discontinuous loop nucleotides in the 3 ' terminal stem-loop are required for Red clover necrotic mosaic virus RNA-2 replication. Virology 393, 346-354.
- Acosta-Leal, R., and Xiong, Z. (2008). Complementary functions of two recessive R-genes determine resistance durability of tobacco 'Virgin A Mutant' (VAM) to Potato virus Y. Virology 379, 275-283.
- Lu, Y. W., Shen, W. T., Zhou, P., Tang, Q. J., Niu, Y. M., Peng, M., and Xiong, Z. (2008). Complete genomic sequence of a Papaya ringspot virus isolate from Hainan Island, China. Archives of Virology 153, 991-993.
- Weng, Z., Barthelson, R., Gowda, S., Hilf, M. E., Dawson, W. O., Galbraith, D. W., and Xiong, Z. (2007). Persistent infection and promiscuous recombination of multiple genotypes of an RNA virus within a single host generate extensive diversity. PLoS ONE 2, e917.
- Weng, Z., Barthelson, R., Gowda, S., Hilf, M. E., Dawson, W. O., Galbraith, D. W., and Xiong, Z. (2007). Promiscuous recombination of multiple genotypes of Citrus tristeza virus generates extensive diversity. Phytopathology 97, S121-S122.
- Wang, J., Liu, Z., Niu, S., Wang, D., Peng, M., Weng, Z., and Xiong Z. 2006. Natural occurrence of Chilli veinal mottle virus on Capsicum chinense in China. Plant Disease 90: 377
- Xiong, Z., Barthelson, R., Weng, Z., and Galbraith, D. W. 2006. Designing and testing of a Citrus tristeza virus resequencing microarray. Proceedings of the International Organization of Citrus Virologists 16, 11-22.
- MIC205A: General Microbiology
Areas of Research
- Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology
- Genomics, Bioinformatics, and Systems Biology
- Plant Protection and Pathology