The University of Arizona

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Academic Probation

Academic Policies and Probation

What is academic probation?

How do I get off academic probation?

What is a B-deficit and how do I calculate it?

How long do I have to get off probation?

Grading options

Important dates and deadlines

Who can help me understand probation and my options?

What happens if I don’t make academic progress?

What if I have an extenuating circumstance, what can I do?



Probation Guidelines


What is academic probation?


To make academic progress at the UA, your cumulative UA GPA must be at or above a 2.0.


Students with less than a 2.0 UA GPA are on academic probation - and they cannot stay on probation indefinitely. Your first semester on probation is the semester after your cumulative UA GPA falls below 2.0.


Understanding the B-deficit is key to knowing what grades you must get to continue studying at the UA and get off probation.  The B-deficit is how many units of B grades are needed to attain good academic standing.


How do I get off academic probation?


To get off probation, you must make academic progress by reducing and eliminating your B-deficit (see below). Reducing your B-deficit to zero (at which point your cumulative UA GPA will be a 2.0 or above) is the only way to get off probation.


Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO) can impact the B-deficit and your academic progress; consult with your advisor to review implications of GRO. To utilize a GRO, you must file an online form through your UAccess Student Center before the third week of the fall/spring semesters.  For summer and winter sessions, the deadline is the first day of class. It is important to refer to the dates and deadlines for each term.



What is a B-deficit and how do I calculate it?


Explanation of B-deficit

A B-deficit is a calculation of how many units of B grades a student needs, assuming the other grades average out to Cs, to be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or above). Students on probation (GPA below 2.0) have B-deficits.


For example: Having a B-deficit of 6 means a student needs 6 units of B to be off probation, with all other grades averaging out to Cs.


To have a B-deficit means you are deficient in grades of B. The only way to make up that deficiency is to earn As and Bs.  Reducing your B-deficit to zero (at which point your GPA will be a 2.0 or above) is the only way to get off probation.


How do I reduce my B-deficit?

• For every three-unit course in which a student earns an A, the B-deficit is reduced by 6.
• For every three-unit course in which a student earns a B, the B-deficit is reduced by 3.
• Grades of C maintain the exact same B-deficit.
• Grades of D and E increase the B-deficit.


How can I find my B-deficit?

To calculate your B-deficit, go to


You can find your Cumulative UA Quality Hours and Current Cumulative UA GPA through UAccess in two ways:


1.      Student Services Center > Academics (tab)

Refer to Statistics section > Units Taken Toward GPA (equals Quality Hours/Units) > Cumulative GPA will be in Cumulative Total column


2.      My Academics > View Unofficial Transcript > Report Type - Unofficial Transcript
Look under QHRS for Quality Hours, and Cum. GPA for GPA

You can also calculate it manually by using the following: Quality Units multiplied by 2 then subtract the Quality Grade Points.  The total will equal how many units of B you need to obtain a 2.0 GPA (that total divided by 2 gives you how many units of A you need to obtain a 2.0 GPA)


How long do I have to get off probation?


Freshman or Transfer students with only ONE completed semester at the UA:  During your second semester at the UA (your first semester on probation), you must earn at least a 2.0 GPA for that semester. While this will not reduce your B-deficit, it will demonstrate that your grades are improving. After your second semester, you MUST reduce your B-deficit in order to continue as a student the following semester.


All other students:  You must reduce your B-deficit every semester in order to continue at the UA the following semester.


The 2.0 GPA requirement for the semester is only for students who have completed only one semester at the UA.  All other students must reduce their B-deficits immediately after the semester when their cumulative GPA fell below 2.0, and every semester thereafter, until the cumulative GPA is 2.0.


To reduce your B-deficit, earn at least one B with no grade lower than a C in other courses. The more grades of A and B you earn (with the other grades averaging out to C) the faster you will be off probation and attain good academic standing.


Grading Options


To review all official UA policies regarding your grading options, refer to the most current catalog. Below is a summary of grading options you should be aware of and approximate deadlines for using these options. For actual dates and deadlines, you should refer to the most current Registration Dates & Deadlines Calendar.



Prior to the end of the tenth day of classes (Fall and Spring), official withdrawal (drop) of a course cancels the registration for the course. A dean’s approval is not required. No grade for the course will appear on the student’s permanent record.



During the peiod of the eleventh day of courses through the end of the tenth week, the grade of W is awarded to students who are passing at the time of withdrawal; a grade of W does not affect your GPA. During this timeframe students may withdraw on their own through their UAccess Student Services Center.  From the eleventh week through the end of the thirteenth week students will need the instructor’s permission on a Change of Schedule form (available through the Registrar’s website), along with Dean's permission, to make any schedule change.  For students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, a petition must be filled out for each course in order to get Dean's permission.  Between the fourteenth and sixteenth weeks, no withdrawals can be made (with the exception of a complete withdrawal) for any reason.  More information can be obtained in Forbes 203 or by calling 520-621-3616.


Complete Withdrawal

In the case of a complete withdrawal from the University, if a student withdraws before the end of the 10th day of classes in Fall or Spring (end of the 1st week in Summer), no classes show on the student's transcript for the term. If a student withdraws from the University between the 11th day of classes in Fall or Spring (2nd week in Summer) and the last day of classes for the term, a grade of WC (for complete withdrawal) will be assigned for every course.  Withdrawal grades are not included in the GPA.


PLEASE NOTE: Performing a complete withdrawal does not guarantee you will be eligible to return the following semester if you are on probation because you will not have reduced your B-deficit. To determine if a complete withdrawal is right for you, please meet with an academic advisor.


ALSO NOTE: If you have extenuating and/or medical circumstances, you may have other options; please consult with your academic advisor for more information.



The grade of “I” may be awarded only at the end of a term, when all but a minor portion of the course work has been satisfactorily completed. The grade of “I” is not to be awarded in place of a failing grade or when the student is expected to repeat the course; in such a case, a grade other than “I” must be assigned.  Students should make arrangements with the instructor to receive an incomplete grade before the end of the term. If the incomplete grade is not removed by the instructor within one year (the last day of finals one year later), the “I” grade will convert to a failing grade. 


Pass/Fail Option:

For certain courses, a qualified student may elect to register under the pass/fail option. Under such registration, the only final grades available to the student are P (pass) or F (fail).  To receive the grade of P, the student must be doing work comparable to a D or better.  If a course is taken under the pass/fail option, the grade of P or F will be permanently recorded.  If the course is passed, the units of credit will be applied toward graduation.  Pass/fail grades are NOT included in the GPA.


Undergraduate students may elect to take courses under the pass/fail option only after they have attained sophomore standing and only if they have earned grade-point-averages (GPAs) of 2.0 or better.


Courses taken under the pass/fail option must be electives only, and may not be used to fulfill general education, major, minor, or other specified curriculum requirements.


The deadline to change from a regular grade to pass/fail or audit, or vice versa, is usually a few days before the drop deadline (approximately 3 weeks into the fall/spring semesters).



Audit is a registration status allowing students to attend a course without receiving credit. Audit units do not count toward full-time status. The grade of O is awarded for courses taken for audit, which is not included in the GPA.


Important dates and deadlines


You must be aware of the dates and deadlines to take advantage of all options; you can find this information in the most current Registration Dates & Deadlines Calendar.


The drop deadline is ten days into the fall/spring semesters; the withdraw deadline is ten weeks into the fall/spring semesters. Winter and summer sessions have very different deadlines; they occur much sooner because the sessions are more condensed than in fall and spring. The complete withdrawal deadline is the last day of classes for the fall/spring semesters.


Every semester, you should make a note in your personal calendar of when the drop and withdraw deadlines are; you can even schedule an appointment with your academic advisor before these dates each semester so you can discuss your current grades in each class and review the best options for your academic success.


Who can help me understand probation and my options?


As part of your probationary status, you must discuss your situation with your academic advisor.  Advisors make note of student interactions and at the end of the semester the Academic Standards Committee will be check to confirm that you connected with your advisor.


You are also encouraged to use the tutoring and academic resources offered at the UA and to meet with your instructors. The UA has many resources to help you succeed, and it is critical that you take advantage of the opportunities available to you.


To schedule an appointment with your college advisor call 520-621-3616 or stop by in person at the Forbes building room 203.  If you have questions specific to your major, schedule an appointment with your major advisor.  A list of advisors with contact information can be obtained at


It is your responsibility to understand what it means to have a B-deficit, and take the steps necessary to reduce your B-deficit so that you are no longer on probation.  Advisors are here to assist you in understanding the process and provide you with options to attain good academic standing.  You have to be proactive as a student.

What happens if I don’t make academic progress?



If you do not make progress towards getting off probation, you may be disqualified from the College and the University. If you are disqualified from the University, you can no longer take coursework at the UA.


Upon recommendation of the Dean of the college, a student may be placed on academic probation or may be disqualified at any time for neglect of academic work.