Requests for Statements of Interest
WNPA 2022 Research Grant Proposals
WNPA supports the acquisition of knowledge by providing grants in support of research that benefits the management, preservation, and interpretation of National Park Service (NPS) resources served by WNPA. The research grant program supplements research programs of the NPS. Grant proposals are reviewed annually by WNPA’s Research Committee, which consists of board members and other volunteers with extensive backgrounds in science and other relevant experience.
- Proposals are typically generated in one of two ways:
- National Park Service (NPS) official determines a need for research and finds a principal investigator (PI).
- Researcher contacts the park with an idea for research.
- Submissions must be completed electronically through the WNPA web portal no later than November 16, 2021. WNPA Web Portal | Research Grants. The full RFP, including guidelines and applications, is also available for download in PDF format.
- WNPA Research Committee reviews submitted grant proposals and approves funding.
- Parks and primary principal investigator(s) will be notified by email of funding decisions the week of December 13, 2021.
- Shortly thereafter, those approved for funding will receive an electronic copy of the 2022 WNPA Grant Awardee Handbook.
- This document includes the grant agreement which requires electronic signatures of the superintendent, chief of interpretation and primary principal investigator as the final step in the grant approval process.
- A copy of the handbook will be delivered electronically through DocuSign. Once fully executed by all parties, a final copy will be delivered to all signers automatically by DocuSign.
To learn more about the WNPA grant research RFP process, visit WNPA | 2022 Research Grants where you can download a copy of the full RFP and submit your proposal electronically through the web portal. Should you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to contact Julie Tainter, WNPA Office Manager, at 520-789-7400 or email@example.com. For fiscal year 2022 project funding consideration, all proposals and renewal budget request(s) must be submitted online through the WNPA web portal by November 16, 2021; this deadline is absolute. For your convenience, attached is a quick reference guide to navigating the new grant web portal.
Since 1938 WNPA has worked to connect generations to parks in meaningful ways, all with one simple goal: create advocates who want to preserve and protect these special places for everyone, for all time. Sharing your research results, information and assets gives us the ability to create a story that inspires people to become a park advocate – more park advocates lead to more donations and more donations equates to more funding for research!
Natural Resources Support, Holloman AFB, NM
Responses to this Request for Statements of Interest will be used to identify potential investigators for a project to be funded by Holloman AFB (HAFB), NM which provides professional and technical support for its Integrated Natural Resources Management Plan (INRMP) in order to facilitate successful implementation of the Sikes Act [16 USC 670c-1]. $311,946 is expected to be available to support Tasks 1,2,5, & 6 in the Base Year of this project. Additional funding may be available for follow on work in subsequent 4 Option Years.
Brief Description of Anticipated Work:
This research focuses on the following objectives:
1) Task 1 – Conduct vegetation management and maintenance of the Holloman Wetland Complex Area
2) Task 2 – Continue long-term monitoring of established sites for wetland birds at Holloman
Wastewater Evaporation Pond and Lagoon G during migratory and breeding seasons.
3) Task 3 – Support HAFB in implementing its INRMP as directed in the Sikes Act and AFMAN
4) Task 4 – Species management to include studies and surveys on the following:
b. White Sands Pupfish
c. Burrowing Owl
d. Various Threatened & Endangered Species
e. Neotropical Migrant Birds
f. Various Mammals (to include coyotes, wolves, foxes, etc.
h. Herpetology (lizards & amphibians)
5) Task 5 – Habitat management to include studies and surveys on the following:
a. Burrowing Owl habitat
b. Chihuahuan Desert habitat
6) Task 6 – Invasive species management (including noxious weeds & Salt Cedar)
Period of Performance. The base period of this agreement will extend one year from award. Four option periods extending for one year are anticipated pending funds.
Materials Requested for Statement of Interest/Qualifications:
Please provide the following via e-mail attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Maximum
length: 2 pages, single-spaced 12 pt. font).
1. Name, Organization, Cage Code, Duns number, and Contact Information
2. Brief Statement of Qualifications (including):
a. Biographical Sketch,
b. Relevant past projects and clients with brief descriptions of these projects,
c. Staff, faculty or students available to work on this project and their areas of expertise,
d. Any brief description of capabilities to successfully complete the project you may wish to add
(e.g. equipment, laboratory facilities, greenhouse facilities, field facilities, etc.).
Note: A full study proposal and proposed budget are NOT requested at this time.
Review of Statements Received: All statements of interest received will be evaluated by a board comprised of one or more people at the receiving installation or activity, who will determine which statement(s) best meet the program objectives. Based on a review of the Statements of Interest received, an investigator or investigators will be invited to prepare a full study proposal. Statements will be evaluated based on the investigator’s specific experience and capabilities in areas related to the study requirements. Please send responses or direct questions to:
Sandra Justman Contract Specialist CESWF-CT
Email: email@example.com Office: 817-886-1073
J. Grant Harrison CESU Project Manager
Timeline for Review of Statements of Interest: The RSOI are required to be out a minimum of 10 working days. Review of Statements of Interest will begin August 11, 2021.