Summer plans? Make a local impact, learn real-world skills & earn money!
Do your summer plans involve heading back home to Phoenix, Prescott, Safford or elsewhere in Arizona? If so, the Externships in Sustainability program is your chance to positively impact your home county by developing and launching positive solutions to address local challenges – all while learning real-world skills and getting paid for it!
Coordinated by UA Cooperative Extension, part of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, the Externships in Sustainability program matches UA students with sustainability projects across Arizona counties. You’ll work 35 hours a week for 10 weeks during the summer, from mid-May – August, alongside local Cooperative Extension faculty and staff. Your effort will have an immediate impact on the environmental, social, and economic sustainability of the county. Experience is not required but your energy, your open mind, and your new ideas are a must!
UA undergraduate students who complete the summer externship will earn a 100% Engagement transcript notation.
2019 Externships in Sustainability
This year, we're recruiting 12 UA students to work on projects in five AZ counties:
- Local Food and Beyond - Growing the Connections in Graham County: Safford, Graham County Extension (contact: Bill Brandau)
- Tucson Village Farm Seed to Table Program (4 positions): Tucson, Pima County Extension (contact: Elizabeth Sparks)
- Yavapai Seed to Table Food Education (2 positions): Prescott, Yavapai County Extension (contact: Hope Wilson)
- Water Wise Rainwater Harvesting Monitoring: Sierra Vista, Cochise County Extension (contact: MaryAnn Capehart)
- 4-H Healthy Living and School Gardens Workshop Assistance: Sierra Vista, Cochise County Extension (contact: Wendy West)
- Integrated Pest Management Research Assistance: Phoenix, Maricopa County Extension (contact: Ayman Mostafa)
- Recharge the Rain – Project WET: Tucson, Pima County Extension (contact: Karen Hanshaw)
- Early Childhood School Garden Sustainability: Phoenix, Maricopa County Extension (contact: Patty Merk)
- Open to any UA major
- US citizen
- Must be sophomore standing or higher to participate (graduate students are eligible to apply)
- Download the application
- Complete the application by the deadline: May 10, 2019
- Email the complete application to the contact for your selected project (listed above)
- Contact the project lead (listed above)
- Email Gabrielle Sykes-Casavant, email@example.com