Are you passionate about your major? Do you enjoy meeting new people? Are you looking for a unique professional development opportunity? If so, apply to become a student Ambassador in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS)! As the face of the College, and often times of the University, Ambassadors volunteer their time to connect prospective students to academic opportunities in CALS and the UA.
2018-19 CALS Ambassador Application
With its 25-year tradition, the CALS Ambassador Program is recognized as one of three prestigious leadership programs in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences. Members develop an enhanced sense of professional self-efficacy through competency-based learning focused on leadership, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills. While the application process is competitive, successful applicants will become student leaders in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, will receive a 100% Engagement notation, and, upon graduation, will be welcomed into the robust network of CALS Ambassador Alumni.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students with at least one complete semester in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- 3.00 GPA, recommended minimum (overall and in the major)
- Ambassadors are active and engaged members of the CALS Ambassador Team. This includes attendance at all mandatory events: weekly meetings, retreats, training days, commencement ceremonies, etc.
- In addition, Ambassadors must complete a minimum of 30 hours of service each semester in support of new student recruitment.
A complete application, submitted online by the deadline of Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 11:59 pm AZ time, includes:
- Online Application Form
- Cover Letter
- Fall 2018 class schedule
- CALS Ambassador Applicant Questions - Write your responses to these three questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming an Ambassador? How can you contribute to the CALS Ambassador team?
- Describe up to three activities you've been in, or are currently involved in, that are important to you. How do you balance your time to accommodate activities as well as school, family, and work?
- How would you describe your experiences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and how will those experiences be useful in recruiting or outreach efforts?
Applicant Service Requirement
All CALS Ambassador applicants are required to complete one hour of volunteer service in addition to submitting a complete application. Participate in any one of the following five events to complete your service requirement. A sign in sheet will be available at the event for you to log your in/out time. The one-hour service requirement must complete by Tuesday, August 21, 2018.
There are 5 opportunities to complete your service requirement:
- Friday, 8/17/18 - UA Clicks, 9:30 – 11:45 am, ENR2
- Friday, 8/17/18 - CALS New Student Welcome, Noon – 1:30 pm, Forbes Building
- Sunday, 8/19/18 - CALS Class Crawl, 8 - 11 am, Forbes Building
- Monday, 8/20/18 - Cookies & Maps, 7 - 11 am, Forbes Building
- Tuesday, 8/21/18 - Cookies & Maps, 7 - 11 am, Forbes Building
- Volunteer Service Requirement Deadline: Tuesday, August 21, 2018
- Application Deadline: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 11:59 pm AZ time
- Applicant Dinner, Required for all Applicants: Thursday, August, 23, 2018, 5 – 7:30 pm, Forbes Building. The dinner will also include a group interview with current Ambassadors and program staff.
- Panel Interviews & "About Me" Presentation: Applicants selected for panel interviews will be asked to deliver a 3-minute "about me" presentation and then participate in a panel interview. Applicants will sign up for a 30-minute interview slot during one of these two days:
- Wednesday, August 29, 9 am – 7 pm, Forbes Building
- Thursday, August 30, 9 am – 7 pm, Forbes Building
- New Member Notification: Friday, August 31, 2018
Ambassador Required Events
In addition to weekly meetings (time TBA), all Ambassadors are required to attend the following CALS events:
- CALS Ambassador Fall Retreat: Friday, September 14, 4-8:30 pm & Saturday, September 15, 8 am – 4:30 pm
- CALS Alumni Breakfast: Saturday, October 27, 7:30 - 10 am
- CALS December Graduation Convocation: Saturday, December 15, 7 – 11 am
- FFA Day, Friday, March 1, 2019 (time tba)
- UA Admitted Student Day, Saturday, April 13, 2019 (time tba)
- CALS May Graduation Convocation: Friday, May 10, 2019, 7 – 11:30 am