Are you passionate about your major? Do you enjoy meeting new people? Are you looking for a unique professional development opportunity? If so, apply to become a student Ambassador in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS)! As the face of the College, and often times of the University, Ambassadors volunteer their time to connect prospective students to academic opportunities in CALS and the UA.
2019-20 CALS Ambassador Application
The CALS Ambassador Program is one of three prestigious leadership programs in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences. Members develop an enhanced sense of professional self-efficacy through competency-based learning focused on leadership, presentation, interpersonal and organizational skills. While the application process is competitive, successful applicants will become student leaders in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, will receive a 100% Engagement notation, and, upon graduation, will be welcomed into the robust network of CALS Ambassador Alumni.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students with at least one complete semester in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- 3.00 GPA, recommended minimum (overall and in the major)
- Ambassadors are active and engaged members of the CALS Ambassador team. This includes attendance at all mandatory events: weekly meetings, retreats, training days, commencement ceremonies, etc.
- In addition, Ambassadors must complete a minimum of 30 hours of service each semester in support of new student recruitment.
Applicant Info Sessions
Have questions about what it means to be a CALS Ambassador? Attend one of our optional info sessions:
- Friday, February 22: 8 - 8:50 am, Forbes Building, Room 202
- Thursday, February 28: 6 - 6:50 pm, Forbes Building, Room 202
- Tuesday, March 19: 7 - 7:50 am, Saguaro Hall, Room 219
- Thursday, March 28: 6 - 6:50 pm, Forbes Building, Room 202
A complete application, submitted online by the deadline of Sunday, March 31, 2019 @ 11:59 pm AZ time, includes:
- Online Application Form
- Cover Letter
- CALS Ambassador Applicant Questions - Write your responses to these three questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming an Ambassador? How can you contribute to the CALS Ambassador team?
- Describe up to three activities you've been in, or are currently involved in, that are important to you. How do you balance your time to accommodate activities as well as school, family, and work?
- How would you describe your experiences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and how will those experiences be useful in recruiting or outreach efforts?
- Application Deadline: Sunday, March 31, 2019 @ 11:59 pm AZ time
- Applicant Dinner, required for all applicants. The dinner will also include a group interview with current Ambassadors and program staff.
- Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 5 – 7:30 pm, Forbes Building OR
- Wednesday, April 3, 2019, 5 – 7:30 pm, Forbes Building
- Panel Interviews & "About Me" Presentation: Applicants selected for panel interviews will be asked to deliver a 3-minute "about me" presentation and then participate in a panel interview. Applicants will sign up for a 30-minute interview slot during one of these four days:
- Monday, April 8, 9 am - 6 pm, Forbes Building
- Tuesday, April 9, 9 am - 6 pm, Forbes Building
- Wednesday, April 10, 9 am - 6 pm, Forbes Building
- Thursday, April 11, 9 am - 6 pm, Forbes Building
- New Member Notification: Friday, April 12, 2019
New Member Service Requirement
New Ambassadors are required to volunteer at the May 2019 CALS graduation ceremony on Friday, May 10 from 7 - 10:30 am.
Ambassador Required Events
In addition to weekly meetings during the semesters (every Tuesday at 7 am), all Ambassadors are required to attend the following CALS events:
- CALS UA Clicks & New Student Welcome: Friday, August 23, 9 am - 1:30 pm
- CALS Ambassador Fall 2019 Retreat:
- Friday, September 6: 4-8:30 pm
- Saturday, September 7: 8 am – 4:30 pm
- Sunday, September 8: 8 am - 4:30 pm
- CALS Leadership Summit: Saturday, November 16, 2019
- CALS December Graduation Convocation: Saturday, December 21, 7 – 11 am
- Additional required events will be shared as available