FSHD Pre-Major Information

FSHD Pre-Major Q&A

Q: Family Studies and Human Development (FSHD) is a pre-major/major! What does this mean?

A: This means that all students are first admitted as Pre-FSHD Majors. As pre-majors, students must complete all pre-major coursework before applying to the major.   

Pre-major coursework includes:

  • ENGL 101
  • ENGL 102
  • Social Science & Human Behavior courses (students choose 2-3 courses from a list of approved classes)
  • Statistics
  • Research Methods
  • FSHD 197A
  • FSHD 117
  • FSHD 237
  • FSHD 257


 **All the above pre-major coursework must be completed with C grades or a minimum of a 2.6 pre-major GPA to be accepted into the major** 

Q: I am not yet an FSHD pre-major. How do I change my major?

A: In order to declare Pre-FSHD as your major, you must complete an Online Information Session & Advising Quiz. Click on this link to begin your session and declare Pre-FSHD: 

FSHD Online Information Session and Advising Quiz

Q: I am now a pre-major. What classes do I need to take to become a major?

A: You need to complete all the pre-major courses with a minimum of C grades or a pre-major GPA of 2.6.  Pre-major courses are listed above.

Q: I am in the process of completing my last pre-major coursework. What do I do now?

A: You can apply for progression into the FSHD Major for the Fall and Spring semesters. For Fall semester, you will receive an email in February inviting you to apply. For Spring semester, you will receive this email in September. 

Q: What is included in the major progression process?

A: The major progression process will happen for students the semester they are completing their last pre-major courses. During this semester, you will be required to complete an advising session and a short major progression form online, indicating you are ready to begin FSHD major courses the next semester.

Q: What if I am finishing my requirements in the summer?

A: If you are finishing in the summer, you will complete your major progression process in Spring for Fall admission to the major. You will turn in your materials, indicating the class(es) you will complete in the Summer. After your grades are posted, you will send Student Services your transcripts and if all requirements are met, you will progress into the major. 

Q: Why must I turn my application in so early?

A: It is important because we will hold FSHD major course seats for students who turn in their completed major progression materials by the deadline. 

Q: Can I turn in my major progression materials after the deadline?

A: Yes, but we will not hold any seats for you.

Q: Will everyone who completes the requirements be admitted into the major?

A:  A maximum of 80 students will progress into the major each semester. If more than 80 students submit major progression forms, and meet all the admission criteria, then students will be accepted to progress based on GPA.  If less than 80 students submit major progression forms, and all meet the criteria, all the students will progress into the major.

Q: What if my GPA is not high enough?

A: You may retake some classes and complete the major progression process another semester. You may also talk with your academic advisor about a major progression appeal process.

Q: I have been admitted into the major. Will seats by available for me in FSHD classes?

A: Yes, we will hold seats in several FSHD classes for new majors. However, seats will be held only for students who turn in their applications in before the deadline. 

Q: Is there a fee associated with the major?

A: Yes, once you are a major, there is a $200/semester fee.  This fee helps pay for advising, internships, classes, and workshops.  Financial aid is available.


Institutes and Centers

The University of Arizona