How to Declare FSHD as a Minor and other important information



How to Declare FSHD as a Minor and function efficiently within it.

Important Information Regarding the Minor:   

Grade point average (g.p.a) required is a minimum of 2.0 earned at UA. If you are a transfer student or new to the university as a freshman, you should wait to apply until one semester of UA grades are posted.

A minor consists of a total of 18 FSHD units; 9 must be upper division units (300, 400 level). Other than that, ANY combination of courses in FSHD is acceptable as there are no required classes. These units can come from FSHD at UA main campus, UA-Sierra Vista (FSHV)* or community college courses that transfer as FSHD units.

*If you want to register for an FSHV course, look at the course availability during the open registration period. They are at under the FSHV option right below FSHD on WebReg. If their on-line courses are still open, let me know what you'd like to be added to and I will ask the FSHV folks to add you.

We cannot accept FSHD 150 B1 as a minor course as it cannot be used for anything except a Tier 1 General Education course.

We do not double count such courses as FSHD 200. If it is used in your major, we cannot use it your minor.

We can accept up to six units of FSHD preceptorship, independent study or practicum. Look here for additional information about the availabilty of research experiences for independent study and summer practicum credit. /fcs/fshd/internships/experiential

We accept the following Pima Community College courses as transfer units for the minor: ECE 107 as FSHD 117; Soc 127 as FSHD 257; ECE 117 as FSHD 323. ECE 117 counts as a lower division credit. For other Arizona Community College transfer units, check FSHD under the UA column here:                                                                

Please note that entry into the minor does not guarantee entry into FSHD classes, especially during Fall and Spring. Minors cannot register for FSHD courses during priority registration. After priority registration, we hold seats in open classes for our pre-majors, so it may take awhile before seats open in certain classes such as FSHD 323 and FSHD 377. Eventually during open enrollment, you will be able to add any FSHD classes with open seats. You are encouraged to take Winter and Summer courses, which are open to all students.   

Please do not mistake Section 910 and Section 901 openings as part of  our regular course offerings. Section 901 is only for our Yuma cohort students .  Section 910 courses are only for student in the distance education program offered through the Outreach College and require additional tuition (currently about $1,000). 

ALL Section 002's  are offered for Honors students only.

You may start taking FSHD classes even before you are a declared minor.  A number of FSHD classes (many online) are offered in both Summer and Winter sessions, and you are strongly encouraged to take these classes. It is possible to complete the minor requirements in Summer and Winter sessions prior to being declared a minor.  Upon completion of the minor requirements, we can still declare you an FSHD minor.  

If you want to apply for the minor, please use the online form here:


We review and approve applications at the end of each month. Regardless of when you apply, it may be up to six weeks before the appropriate change in your status is made.  

Currently, there is no waiting list for the FSHD minor.

Please read the points above first. If you have further questions, contact Liz Collins, FSHD minor advisor, at:











Institutes and Centers

The University of Arizona