American Seed Trade Association Internship Program
Founded in 1883, the American Seed Trade Association is one of the oldest trade Associations in the United States. Its membership consists of over 700 companies involved in seed production and distribution, plant breeding and related industries in North America. ASTA advocates science and policy issues of industry wide importance. ASTA promotes the development of better seed, to produce better crops, for a better quality of life.
ASTA, located in Alexandria, VA, seeks to fill one internship position. The incumbent will work closely with the domestic and international policy and communications teams to further ASTA’s activities in these areas. The internship will have a strong focus on science communications which will include writing and research about seed related topics such as plant breeding and agronomy for non-scientific audiences. The term of this paid position is from May – September, 2019, with the actual dates to be determined with the candidate. The successful candidate will be entering their junior or senior year of college or in a Master’s Program and have a background in agricultural sciences, economics, marketing or communications.
Key Job Duties and Functions
- Learn about the seed industry and its role in agriculture
- Conduct research and compile reports on plant breeding programs and other relevant seed industry topics
- Develop articles, social media and other communication content Attend and provide support (both in advance and on site) for ASTA’s Policy & Leadership Development Conference in Denver in June
Required Skills, Abilities & Characteristics
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Interest in agriculture
- Completion of some scientific coursework preferred
- Work effectively and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Complete tasks and resolve problems timely and effectively
- Take direction and learn new things
- Efficient in MS Office,
- Organized, detail oriented and highly self-motivated
What you’ll walk away with
This internship experience offers students the opportunity to live and work in the nation’s capital and learn in a hands-on environment. Through this opportunity the intern will develop leadership and project management skills, while gaining insight into association work and cutting edge agricultural research. The individual will manage projects from start to finish and work with ASTA staff on a daily basis. The individual will also have the opportunity to participate in ASTA’s Policy and Leadership Development Conference in Denver, Colorado and network with ASTA members. Upon completion, the student will have a finished project to add to his or her portfolio.
Do you have the skills and the desire to be part of a fun, hard-working team? Send your resume and brief cover letter to Ann Jorss, ASTA chief operating officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Internship Application.” For questions and additional information, please call (703)837-8140. The deadline is March 23, 2019.