This Agronomy Internship will be a full time, yearlong internship, with a very strong training and educational component. Participants will work with other Global R&D and Regional Senior Agronomists in Driscoll’s Pilot Farms and Research Testplots, learning how to grow berry crops in substrate. The internship educational component includes attending several technical trainings and workshops and developing production research proposals. The experiential, hands-on, component of this internship includes collecting observations and records of plant nutrition and irrigation parameters, supporting the agronomy and research teams establishing research trials and demonstration plots and other responsibilities related to farming berry crops in innovative and advanced production systems
Recently graduated or soon to be graduated students from Horticulture or Plant Sciences degrees. Relevant college coursework in horticulture, botany and agronomy preferred. Internet and Microsoft Office computer experience, self-starter, independent, able to lift 40 pounds, ability to work in field conditions, ability to travel to production sites independently.
1. Collecting data and observations on strawberry, raspberry and blackberry substrate crops
2. Regular interaction with agronomy, plant physiology, pathology and entomology teams to learn crop cycles and growth measurements, and critical pests and diseases.
3. Scouts crops for disease and pest pressure.
4. Submit weather reports for assigned test plots.
5. Seasonal data analysis and final report submitted at end of internship.
6. Regularly and timely communicates with supervisor of any key actionable observations
7. Follows Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, government agencies, growers, etc. 8. Ensures the safe-keeping of Driscoll’s-owned varieties and confidential information. 10. Performs other duties as instructed by supervisor.
Driscoll’s is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll’s is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll’s exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll’s is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries ™.