Application closes March 30, 2018.
The Pathways Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service. Apply for this exciting opportunity to strengthen the Department's ability to protect the homeland by analyzing and refining existing work methods and developing new methods and procedures.
Who May Apply:
U.S. Citizen students who are currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis at a qualifying accredited educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program
Organizational Location: This position is with the Department of Homeland Security, within U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Office of Field Operations, Tucson Field Office. Locations are: Tucson, AZ, Douglas, AZ, San Luis, AZ, and Nogales, AZ.
Positions are temporary and may be extended in one year increments at management's discretion if the student continues to meet the requirements of the Pathways Internship Program. The internship confers no right to permanent placement into competitive service.
This position starts at a salary of $30,054 (GS-04, Step 1) to $39,067 (GS-04, Step 10) with promotion potential to $43,715 (GS-05, Step 10).
In this student trainee position, you will become a key team member of Homeland Security administrative professionals. Typical work assignments include:
- Performing a variety of record keeping, reporting, and informational duties in support of the office's programs
- Recording and filing information on cases, projects, and/or studies in established filing system
- Monitoring stock levels of office supplies and ordering them when necessary
- Updating manuals on policies, directives, and memoranda
- Opening and sorting correspondence and preparing routing slips for incoming publications and other materials