Policy for Insect Identification
Maricopa County Master Gardener Helpdesk
- Master Gardeners (MG) are responsible for the identification of insects that are found ONLY within garden or landscape environments. No household, vehicle, personal clothing, or skin irritants will be identified. See provisions 3 and 4 below.
- If a MG cannot identify a garden or landscape insect, they shall use the following order of referrals:
- Seek help from MCCE Staff
- Send sample to Gene Hall (University of Arizona, Cooperative Extension, Insect Collections Manager.) See these instructions for sending samples.
- At no time is a MG or employee of the MCCE allowed to identify, diagnose, or comment on insects which are living in or on the body or skin of humans or animals. All clients should be referred to a physician or veterinarian of their choice for a diagnosis.
- At no time is a MG or employee of the MCCE allowed to inspect a person's or animal's body for bites, rashes, or any suspected evidence of pests, irritants, etc. All clients should be referred to a physician or veterinarian of their choice for a diagnosis.
NOTE: Clients may be advised to seek household pest ID at the Maricopa Agriculture Center. A picture for identification should be sent first when possible. If a picture is not possible, clients may send pest samples to Shaku Nair, Asst. in Extension - Community IPM. Identification may take several days.
September 18, 2018