firstname.lastname@example.org, Marley 821B
626-4185 / 626-7765 (Lab)
- 1998 Bachelor of Science with Honors, cum laude, The University of Arizona. Double major in Molecular & Cellular Biology and Biochemistry.
- 2005 Doctorate of Philosophy, University Program in Genetics and Genomics, Department of Biology, Duke University.
- 2005 – 2010 Postdoctoral Fellow, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich UK; and the Department of Plant Sciences, Cambridge University, UK.
- Eukaryotes contain an array of small RNAs capable of transcriptional and post-transcriptional gene regulation. These ubiquitous molecules are part of many biological processes, including development, response to the environment, and disease. Originally identified in plants, small RNAs are now studied in diverse organisms and are an important tool in human therapeutics.
- Our laboratory studies the synthesis and action of small RNA molecules with particular emphasis on 1) epigenetic modifications such as DNA methylation during seed development, and 2) evolution of the RNA-directed DNA methylation machinery. We combine traditional genetic and molecular studies with phylogenetic and structural analysis in diverse plant species.
Chakraborty T, Kendall T, Grover JW, and Mosher RA. “Embryo CHH hypermethylation is mediated by RdDM and is autonomously directed in Brassica rapa” BioRxiv, 2020. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.26.268573v1
Grover JW, Burgess D, Kendall T, Baten A, Pokhrel S, King GJ, Meyers BC, Freeling M, and Mosher RA. “Abundant expression of maternal siRNAs is a conserved feature of seed development”. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 117(26): 15305-15315, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2001332117
Chow HT, Chakraborty T, and Mosher RA. “RNA-directed DNA Methylation and sexual reproduction: expanding beyond the seed”. Current Opinion in Plant Biology, 54: 11-17, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbi.2019.11.006
Kirkbride RC, Lu J, Zhang C, Mosher RA, Baulcombe DC, and Chen ZJ. “Maternal small RNAs mediate spatial and temporal regulation of gene expression and seed development in Arabidopsis”. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 116: 2761-2766, 2019. https://www.pnas.org/content/116/7/2761
Trujillo JT, Seetharum AS, Hufford MB, Beilstein MA, and Mosher RA. “Evidence for a sixth DNA-dependent RNA polymerase in cereal crops”. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 35(10): 2454-2462, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msy146
Grover JW, Kendall T, Baten A, Burgess D, Freeling M, King GJ, and Mosher RA. “Maternal components of RNA-directed DNA methylation are required for seed development in Brassica rapa”. The Plant Journal, 94: 575-582, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/tpj.13910
Bowman JL, Kohchi T, Yamato KT, et al. “Insights into Land Plant Evolution Garnered from the Marchantia polymorpha Genome”. Cell, 171: 287-304, 2017. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867417311248
Wang Y, Tsukamoto T, Liu X, Noble JA, Mosher RA, and Palanivelu R. “Arabidopsis LORELEI, a maternally-expressed imprinted gene, promotes early seed development”. Plant Physiology, 175(2): 758-773, 2017. http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/early/2017/08/18/pp.17.00427
Grover JW, Bomhoff M, Davey S, Gregory BD, Mosher RA, and Lyons E. “LoadExp+: a web-based suite that integrates next-generation sequencing data analysis workflows and visualization”. Plant Direct, 1(2), 2017. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pld3.8/full
Trujillo JT and Mosher RA. “Identification and evolutionary characterization of Argonaute-binding platforms” in Plant Argonaute Proteins: Methods and Protocols, Caronell A, ed. (Springer-Verlag), 2017. https://link.springer.com/protocol/10.1007%2F978-1-4939-7165-7_19
Trujillo JT, Beilstein MA, and Mosher RA. “The Ago-binding platform of NRPE1 evolves through modulation of intrinsically disordered repeats” New Phytologist, 212:1094-1105, 2016. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.14089/full
Gohlke J and Mosher RA. “Exploiting mobile RNA silencing for crop improvement” American Journal of Botany, 102:1399-1400, 2015. http://www.amjbot.org/content/102/9/1399.short
Huang Y, Kendall T, Forsythe ES, Dorantes-Acosta A, Yu Y, Caballero-Perez J, Chen X, Arteaga-Vázquez M, Beilstein MA, and Mosher RA. “Ancient origin and recent innovations of RNA Polymerase IV and V”. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 32:1788-1799, 2015. https://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/32/7/1788
Matzke MA and Mosher RA. “RNA-directed DNA methylation: an epigenetic pathway of increasing complexity” Nature Reviews Genetics, 15:394-408, 2014. http://www.nature.com/nrg/journal/v15/n6/abs/nrg3683.html
Huang Y, Kendall T, and Mosher RA. Pol IV-Dependent siRNA production is reduced in Brassica rapa. Biology, 2:1210-1223, 2013. http://www.mdpi.com/2079-7737/2/4/1210/htm
Mosher RA. “Combatting the Impostor Syndrome in academic science – you probably are as smart as they think!” Plantae Blog, Aug 24, 2017. https://plantae.org/blog/combatting-the-impostor-syndrome-in-academic-science-you-probably-are-as-smart-as-they-think/
- PLS312 - Animal and Plant Genetics
- PLS549A - Plant Genetics + Genomics
- Cell and Developmental Biology
- Genetics and Epigenetics
- Genomics, Bioinformatics, and Systems Biology