email@example.com, Marley 821B
626-4185 / 626-7765 (Lab)
- 1998 Bachelor of Science with Honors, cum laude, The University of Arizona. Double major in Molecular & Cellular Biology and Biochemistry.
- 2005 Doctorate of Philosophy, University Program in Genetics and Genomics, Department of Biology, Duke University.
- 2005 – 2010 Postdoctoral Fellow, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich UK; and the Department of Plant Sciences, Cambridge University, UK.
- Eukaryotes contain an array of small RNAs capable of transcriptional and post-transcriptional gene regulation. These ubiquitous molecules are part of many biological processes, including development, response to the environment, and disease. Originally identified in plants, small RNAs are now studied in diverse organisms and are an important tool in human therapeutics.
- Our laboratory studies the synthesis and action of small RNA molecules with particular emphasis on 1) epigenetic modifications such as DNA methylation during seed development, and 2) evolution of the RNA-directed DNA methylation machinery. We combine traditional genetic and molecular studies with phylogenetic and structural analysis in Arabidopsis thaliana and other plants.
Trujillo JT, Seetharum AS, Hufford MB, Beilstein MA, and Mosher RA. “Evidence for a sixth DNA-dependent RNA polymerase in cereal crops” BioRxiv. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/02/28/272708
Grover JW^, Kendall T^, Baten A, Burgess D, Freeling M, King GJ, and Mosher RA. “Maternal components of RNA-directed DNA methylation are required for seed development in Brassica rapa” The Plant Journal, accepted, 2018.
Grover JW, Bomhoff M, Davey S, Gregory BD, Mosher RA, and Lyons E. “LoadExp+: a web-based suite that integrates next-generation sequencing data analysis workflows and visualization”. Plant Direct, 2017. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pld3.8/full
Trujillo JT, Beilstein MA, and Mosher RA. “The Ago-binding platform of NRPE1 evolves through modulation of intrinsically disordered repeats” New Phytologist, 212:1094-1105, 2016. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.14089/full
Gohlke J and Mosher RA. “Exploiting mobile RNA silencing for crop improvement” American Journal of Botany, 102:1399-1400, 2015. http://www.amjbot.org/content/102/9/1399.short
Huang Y, Kendall T, Forsythe ES, Dorantes-Acosta A, Yu Y, Caballero-Perez J, Chen X, Arteaga-Vázquez M, Beilstein MA, and Mosher RA. “Ancient origin and recent innovations of RNA Polymerase IV and V”. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 32:1788-1799, 2015. https://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/32/7/1788
Matzke MA and Mosher RA. “RNA-directed DNA methylation: an epigenetic pathway of increasing complexity” Nature Reviews Genetics, 15:394-408, 2014.
Mosher RA. “Maternal control of Pol IV-dependent siRNAs in Arabidopsis endosperm” New Phytologist, 186:358-364, 2010.
Mosher RA. “Combatting the Impostor Syndrome in academic science – you probably are as smart as they think!” Plantae Blog, Aug 24, 2017. https://plantae.org/blog/combatting-the-impostor-syndrome-in-academic-science-you-probably-are-as-smart-as-they-think/.
- PLS/MCB 360 - Plant Growth and Physiology
- Cell and Developmental Biology
- Genetics and Epigenetics
- Genomics, Bioinformatics, and Systems Biology