As a student in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences you’ll be challenged to create new ideas across disciplines, to discover solutions to problems big and small, and to roll up your sleeves and get things done – all while making a positive impact. In our college, this type of experiential learning is part of our DNA – it’s also the foundation of the University’s 100% Engagement initiative.
Your Goals. Your Experience. Your Choice.
Your 100% Engagement experience will complement your world-class education and propel you toward career, graduate school, or entrepreneurial goals – all before graduation. As a UA undergraduate student you choose your 100% Engagement experience based on your goals, your schedule, and your interests – no “one-size-fits-all” here. 100% Engagement experiences share the same foundation – 45 hours of experiential learning and require a final reflection component – but that’s where the similarities end.
100% Engagement experiences are created by faculty and staff, combine one activity (what you’ll do) and one competency (what you’ll learn about), and are offered in a variety of ways. Based on which experience you choose, you can expect to:
- Earn credit with in-class experiences or participate in co-curricular experiences without credit
- Participate in experiences online, on-campus, in the local Tucson community, throughout Arizona, or across the globe
- Complete your experience over an academic year, in a semester, or over summer break
- Earn course credit, a stipend/salary, or volunteer your time
What’s in it for you?
100% Engagement is unique to the University of Arizona and, as such, is a unique opportunity for you. Once you complete a 100% Engagement experience you’ll earn:
- An “Engaged Learning Completed” notation on your official academic transcript
- A Student Engagement record of all completed 100% Engagement experiences, viewable in UAccess
- The opportunity to use your 100% Engagement experience to set yourself apart from the crowd at job or graduate school interviews
CALS 100% Engagement Experiences
CALS Student Leadership Programs
- Ambassadors - As the face of the College, and often times of the University as well, Ambassadors volunteer their time to connect prospective students to academic opportunities in CALS and the UA.
- Peer Mentors - Affectionately known as CALS PALS, Peer Mentors are an ally and coach who use their in-depth training to champion the academic and individual success of their mentees
- Dean's Entrepreneurial Leadership Council - Members of the CALS Dean’s Entrepreneurial Leadership Council excel at innovation, creativity, and community connection with a focus on developing skills as entrepreneurial leaders.
Externships in Sustainability
- Local Food and Beyond - Growing the Connections in Graham County: Safford, Graham County Extension
- Tucson Village Farm Seed to Table Program (4 positions): Tucson, Pima County Extension
- Yavapai Seed to Table Food Education (2 positions): Prescott, Yavapai County Extension
- Water Wise Rainwater Harvesting Monitoring: Sierra Vista, Cochise County Extension
- 4-H Healthy Living and School Gardens Workshop Assistance: Sierra Vista, Cochise County Extension
- Integrated Pest Management Research Assistance: Phoenix, Maricopa County Extension
- Recharge the Rain – Project WET: Tucson, Pima County Extension
- Early Childhood School Garden Sustainability: Phoenix, Maricopa County Extension
Download a .pdf list of the more than 70 CALS Engaged Learning courses
How to get involved
Find your experience
Make sure to search early in your academic career and check-in often as 100% Engagement experiences are added all the time.
- Browse the Office of Student Engagement's database of all co-curricular experiences
- Search the UA course catalog for all Engaged Learning courses
Talk with your academic advisor, your Engagement representative, or Student Engagement Ambassadors. They can help you match your interests with available opportunities or help you design an experience that’s uniquely for you.
Participate & earn the official UA transcript notation
Complete your 100% Engagement experience on your schedule. Interested in more than one experience? Participate in multiple experiences!
Enhance your resume
Leverage your Student Engagement record! Are you meeting with the CALS Career Center to review your resume, find internships, connect with employers, or talk about career planning? You’ll want to get their input on how to maximize your 100% Engagement experience from the employer perspective.